Agnethe Jorgensen (1918-2011) was a Danish sculptor and highly recognised artist. Her works adorn many public buildings in Denmark. She received the Eckersberg Medal from The Royal Academy as early as 1949.
She was an apprentice at the silverware factory E. Dragsted from 1935 until she received her apprenticeship in 1939. Then she was educated at the Art Academy's Sculptor School from 1940 until 1951. From 1946-1960 she had a studio in her mother's house Lovbjerggaard. Her work in porcelain was centred around the time, when she was employed at Bing & Grondahl from 1967 to 1976.
The style of Agnethe Jorgensen was originally characterized by naturalism with ornamentalistic rhythm in the movement pattern. Later journeys to Italy and Greece added new development to her artistic expression. She was inspired by the archaic sculptures to use simple and strong shapes in her imagery. In 1950 she developed her art towards a more simple shape and increasingly departed from the more complicated natural shape that defined her earlier sculptures. The simplistic shape is the one that especially characterise her work at Bing & Grondahl, where she demonstrate her ability to reduce a figurine to the lowest level of complexity without loosing the recognisibility of the figurine.